ALTO MINCIO IGT

Descrizione

The IGP Alto Minicio includes a hilly area within the Province of Mantua, referred to as ‘glacial’ because it’s part of the morainic Amphitheatre of Garda with a maximum altitude of 200m above sea level. Wine cultivation in this area has ancient origins: an archeological dig in the hills unearthed a bowl of grape seeds dating back to Neolithic times. After the Etruscans, the poet Virgilio, originally from Mantua, described the cultivation of this plant two thousand years ago in his fifth Bucolica. Other important evidence dates back to the letter of Isabella d’Este, written during her visit to Lake Garda in 1535 and in a document dated 1588 in the State Archive of Mantua.

 


The types of IGP Alto Mincio are: white wines (also sparkling and sweet wines), red wines (also sparkling sweet wines and new wines and rosé (also in sparkling). Each of these wines must contain at least 85% of on the following grapes: Merlot, Cabernet, Sangiovese, Rondinella, Molinara, Chardonnay, Pinot blanc, Pinot gris, Sauvignon, Riesling, Garganega and Pinot noir (also vinified in white). The remaining 15% can be made up of grapes from non-aromatic cultivations grown in the Lombardy Region. The production follows the typical geographic indications (IGT) specifications, regulating the amount of grapes per hectare, the operation and place of the winemaking and the maximum yield of the finished wine.

The minimum alcohol content is 11% for the new Alto Mincio; 12% for the sweet white or red wines; the remain wines (Alto Mincio red, rosé and white) all have a 10% alcohol content.

 

Continue

The IGP Alto Minicio includes a hilly area within the Province of Mantua, referred to as ‘glacial’ because it’s part of the morainic Amphitheatre of Garda with a maximum altitude of 200m above sea level. Wine cultivation in this area has ancient origins: an archeological dig in the hills unearthed a bowl of grape seeds dating back to Neolithic times. After the Etruscans, the poet Virgilio, originally from Mantua, described the cultivation of this plant two thousand years ago in his fifth Bucolica. Other important evidence dates back to the letter of Isabella d’Este, written during her visit to Lake Garda in 1535 and in a document dated 1588 in the State Archive of Mantua.

 


The types of IGP Alto Mincio are: white wines (also sparkling and sweet wines), red wines (also sparkling sweet wines and new wines and rosé (also in sparkling). Each of these wines must contain at least 85% of on the following grapes: Merlot, Cabernet, Sangiovese, Rondinella, Molinara, Chardonnay, Pinot blanc, Pinot gris, Sauvignon, Riesling, Garganega and Pinot noir (also vinified in white). The remaining 15% can be made up of grapes from non-aromatic cultivations grown in the Lombardy Region. The production follows the typical geographic indications (IGT) specifications, regulating the amount of grapes per hectare, the operation and place of the winemaking and the maximum yield of the finished wine.

The minimum alcohol content is 11% for the new Alto Mincio; 12% for the sweet white or red wines; the remain wines (Alto Mincio red, rosé and white) all have a 10% alcohol content.

 

Where you can find this product

Pairings

Being a large variety of wines the pairings are classic: white and rosé with delicate dishes, red wines go with more complex meat and game dishes and finally, the sweet wines are great with dessert and mild cheeses.

 

Curiosity

Mantuan wines

East Lombardy is the European region
of gastronomy 2017