The National Virgilian Academy

Descrizione

The National Virgilian Academy was founded in 1768 by Maria Theresa of Habsburg Empress of Austria, together with her son, Joseph II of Habsburg, future emperor. Named "Royal Academy of Science, Literature and Art", it is the oldest and most prestigious cultural institution still existing in Mantua and originated from the secular source of cultural associations dating back to Lord Gonzaga. During the French occupation of Mantua it assumed the name Virgiliana, in honour of Publius Virgilio Marone and in 1983 it was also awarded the National qualification. The Academy is housed in a sixteenth-century building, restored and then transformed by the neo-classical architect Paolo Pozzo. The Academic Body is made up of 90 academics who collaborate on institutional activities exclusively free of charge and ordered in three classes: literature and arts, physical, natural and mathematical sciences, and moral sciences. They add 60 corresponding members, 20 for each class. The Academy is equipped with a rich library, still open to the public, and maintains an important collection of surgical instruments from the 18th century.

In the same architectural complex is the Teatro Scientifico built between 1767 and 1769 by Antonio Galli Bibiena. 


Continue

The National Virgilian Academy was founded in 1768 by Maria Theresa of Habsburg Empress of Austria, together with her son, Joseph II of Habsburg, future emperor. Named "Royal Academy of Science, Literature and Art", it is the oldest and most prestigious cultural institution still existing in Mantua and originated from the secular source of cultural associations dating back to Lord Gonzaga. During the French occupation of Mantua it assumed the name Virgiliana, in honour of Publius Virgilio Marone and in 1983 it was also awarded the National qualification. The Academy is housed in a sixteenth-century building, restored and then transformed by the neo-classical architect Paolo Pozzo. The Academic Body is made up of 90 academics who collaborate on institutional activities exclusively free of charge and ordered in three classes: literature and arts, physical, natural and mathematical sciences, and moral sciences. They add 60 corresponding members, 20 for each class. The Academy is equipped with a rich library, still open to the public, and maintains an important collection of surgical instruments from the 18th century.

In the same architectural complex is the Teatro Scientifico built between 1767 and 1769 by Antonio Galli Bibiena. 


East Lombardy is the European region
of gastronomy 2017